Email has come a long way from a simple message service to a multi-purpose one. Albeit its primary resolution remains unchanged, its most common use today is for marketing purposes.
There’s no need to expand on the revolution that the appearance of email has invited upon its inception. It helped people not only keep in touch, but also transfer files and confirms their identity. This latter purpose the service still keeps, much to the joy of the masses.
Still, not many could have predicted the evolutionary curve email would take, ending up as the most convenient marketing tool there ever was. If 2019 statistics are to be believed, email marketing campaigns are by far the most effective revenue generators.
Email and Marketing: Two Peas in a Pod
How have email marketing campaigns become a blessing to marketers? It’s quite simple, as it were. Take just one stat to guide you in your musings: 92 percent of online adults use email. Add to that that emails are free to read, and you should be able to get the idea.
Still, there is so much more to email than just reading. Everyone knows that spam filters have never been busier, not least of all because many people tend to forget the “unsubscribe” button actually works. Still, the sound of promotions coupled with personalized emails remains tempting, and marketers know all too well how to use that fact.
The more the merrier, as the saying goes, or, in case of marketing, the more the richer. An average employee spends 13 hours per week dealing with emails, and 90 percent of marketing emails know their way to their inboxes. As a result, 57 percent of email subscribers spend, on average, 10 to 60 minutes per week browsing email offers. If we add that 83 percent of B2B marketers send newsletters via email, you’ll see how the chances of a successful click exponentially increase.
Email is almost like an addiction. With 26 percent of people checking their inboxes before even getting out of bed and 18 percent of them while they drive, it comes as no surprise that email campaigns are a huge success… and likely to remain!
Marketing Gets Simplified by the Day
Even personalized messages can be simplified. In fact, marketing automation gets more sophisticated by the minute, with a large percentage of marketers making full use of it. I.e., 82 percent of B2B and B2C businesses rely on it, with statistics showing that email campaigns stand a 133 percent higher chance of delivering messages customers deem relevant. What about statistics? Here’s some information for you:
- Targeted email campaigns generate over 75 percent of the total email revenue
- Transactional emails generate 6x more revenue than other email types
- Transactional emails get 8x more clicks than other email types
- Automated email campaigns have 50 percent conversion rates
Email Goes Mobile
With the rise of mobile phones, email has reached new heights. This holds true for both marketers and customers, seeing as both sides reap benefits. But that implies a whole new set of use cases and additional functionalities.
It is already known that people accessing their email on mobile devices are only to increase in the future. And that’s not all. Emails accessed in this way stand way higher chances of turning into actual revenue. Not to dwell on complicated calculations overmuch, here are some simple stats to illustrate:
- The number of new mobile device users is growing by 20 percent annually.
- Ca. 53 percent of emails are accessed on mobile devices.
- Most subscriptions are performed on mobile devices.
- It’s a fact that 23 percent of people who open emails on a mobile device tend to re-read them (once or more).
- Re-reading emails on mobile devices occurs in 70 percent of cases.
- One-third of clicks are performed on mobile devices.
2019 Email Statistics
Are you curious to see what the future will bring to email? We certainly are. Presently, however, we can only rely upon updated stats, some of which we are about to share with you so we can imagine the future together.
- 77 percent of marketers use email to send personalized content to subscribers
- 67 percent of marketers use big data to personalize email campaigns
- 66 percent of marketers personalize email campaigns
- 64 percent of marketers use mobile-optimized designs for email campaigns
- 61 percent of consumers wish brands to contact them via email
- 30 percent of marketers worldwide deem that email marketing generates the highest ROI
As you can see, this has become a serious game. It might just be a win-win situation for all parties involved. However, we’d be poor visionaries to imagine the future of email only in terms of marketing. Think big — activism, interactive content and new horizons! The sky’s the limit, and we, for one, are looking forward to whatever the future has in store for the great email service.
We will leave you to ponder the possibilities with the first email sent from space (1991). The STS-43 Atlantis crew wrote: “Hello, Earth! Greetings from the STS-43 Crew! This is the first AppleLink from space. Having a great time, wish you were here… send cryo and RCS! Hasta la vista, baby… we’ll be back!”